Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Interview with Jenny Yuen

We were fortunate enough to interview handbag designer Jenny Yuen. She's an amazing talent, and making quite a name for herself at such a young age. She has landed herself a number of coveted positions at famed industry studios including Jill Stuart, Twinkle by Wenlan, and Michael Kors. Her handbags have recently made it on to the pages of a number of magazines including: Seventeen, Nylon, Lucky, and Teen Vogue.
****************************************

Snapshot Fashion:
What inspires your designs?
Jenny Yuen: I think anything and everything! But I really like watching old movies for inspiration or looking at old photos from fashion history books or art books.
I really like how old things have this classic and timeless quality to them, so these are somethings I really like to incorporate into my designs.

SF: How many handbags do you personally own?
JY: I think I own around 8-10 which is I guess a good amount but not a considerable amount considering I'm a handbag designer haha! I have usually have about 3 in rotation and I find that the less bags I own the better at designing them I become. I start imagining the perfect bag that I need so then in essence I have to design out of necessity.... if that makes any sense?

SF: What is the most challenging thing about being a designer?
JY: For me the most difficult thing is to keep focus and to shut out all the noise out there in the world about trends and what other people are doing, what's cool, what's not cool. what you should do, what you shouldn't do etc. etc. It's hard, but I try to stay focused and stay true to what I beleive is beautiful or interesting and what I want to express through my designs.

SF: What color handbag do you think every woman should have?
JY: Pink! I have a serious problem with the color pink sometimes. Pink heels, pink nails, pink phone, pink bag. It must have something to do with growing up in the 80's and all little girls toys were packed in hot pink packaging haha! But I think everyone has to have a pink bag. It's very girl, it's kitschy and most importantly, it's just fun!

******************************************************
To read the rest of our interview with Jenny check out our blog on MySpace. Also, be sure to visit Jenny's website and MySpace page as well.

1 comment:

we wear things said...

oooh great interview!! i've never owned a pink bag.. but totally see how it could be lots of fun..